Thursday, August 2, 2012

One more thought for Thursday...

And this one is brief.

I had every intention of ignoring the Chik-Fil-A brouhaha because I do not want to stir up trouble for my wee little blog.

But I can't entirely.

I just want to point this one little thing out.


The problem I have with Dan Cathy's remarks is that he spoke on behalf of his whole company.  If he wants to hold views that cherry pick from the Bible, so be it-- it is a free country.  But he does not have the right to speak for, nor does he represent all the employees of Chick-Fil-A.  What about their right to free speech and free opinion?  In addition to being on the wrong side of history, Cathy denied his employees their right to free speech by claiming his company opposes gay marriage.  If he only employs Christians who are anti gay marriage, isn't that illegal?  Where is the ACLU?  And where are all the libertarians who supposedly support free speech?  They are defending Cathy-- the one who denied that right for all his employees by stating that his entire organization opposes marriage equality.  Why aren't they outraged that a multi-millionaire CEO had the arrogance to speak for the thousands he employs?

I'm just throwing it out there.


1 comment:

  1. I've been avoiding the topic, too. I love Chik-Fil-A for a lot of reasons. Waffle fries, right? See, though... I believe that alienating ANYONE goes against the message of love and forgiveness that Jesus came to bring to the world. In that, I don't stand for the owners' point of view right now. But it won't bring me to quit eating there. I doubt that I 100% agree with the folks that run every corporation that my purchases benefit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It is most appreciated~*