Friday, January 31, 2014

Resolution: Live Slow

By now I'm sure most of you have heard of the slow movement as explained by Carl Honore in his book,   In Praise of Slowness.  

It was the slow movement that inspired our live slow resolution for 2014.  Time just moves so quickly when you mark your year in semesters, I feel like we are missing out on living sometimes.

We try to get so much done around here- always doing.  Which is good, I like doing-- but sometimes we are so caught up in the act we forget to enjoy the process.  We put pressure on ourselves to accomplish things that don't actually matter, and sacrifice the things that do.  
Don't get me wrong, I'm no Luddite- we adore technology & love the modern world.  This isn't some hipster statement about turning back time to the 1890's (Portlandia reference...).  We like our modern conveniences, our XBox One (thank you Santa) and our internet.  I don't have a problem with the kids texting (and would like to add that they can type faster than I can thanks to it) or being on facebook.  
But I do think we get so caught up in manufactured time crunches that we forget to breathe, if that makes sense.  
So this year we are going to make an effort to slow down and enjoy the little details that make life so very worth living.

This slowness applies to my blogging as well.  It is funny how easy it is to slip into a routine with blogging-- where suddenly meaning is wrung out of a post, sacrificed for the sake of regularity.  
I never intended to make money with The Closet, though I am happy to be compensated for blogging about something I believe in anyway.  I love helping promote businesses or artists or items I think are neat-- and often times I come to discover those items when someone approaches me to offer use of their product in exchange for a review.  And I love hosting hops & working with other bloggers on coordinated posts or cross promotion.  That part is good.


But somewhere in the process I got it in my head that I had to post so many times a week with regular features and handy search terms.  And it got to feel rushed & routine.
I took a break from blogging a while back, then returned with a less regular schedule.  And I like it.  I'm finding my voice again.  Slow living, slow blogging.  Around The Closet this will translate to less posts, but more content, more random, more real.  Works for me.




I hope you'll come along with us as we try and slow down-- I'll certainly be sharing here.  If you'd like to know more about In Praise of Slowness, you can watch the author himself explain his idea in this Ted Talk.  Then head over to amazon & pick up the book, you won't regret it.



Alain Lombard - Leo Delibes - Lakme - Viens, Mallika (Flower Duet) 
Powered by www.Mp3Olimp.net



*all photos for this post were taken by Harper Ann


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It is most appreciated~*