Monday, June 18, 2012

Poppy's Day

We had a Saturday Father's Day for the hubby-- after putting on his "world's best dad" tee gift from the Things, he played xbox literally all day {with the Things & I...well, I played Warcraft, but I was in the room to admire their skill as they played Kingdom for Keflings} & he was in a state of gloriously nerdy bliss.

On Sunday we headed up to my folks house in North Carolina with Things 2 & 3, who entertained themselves by photo bombing each other & generally being goofy {while the hubs &  I sang along with Billy Joel, of which there is mercifully no record}


My folks live on the edge of a golf course/ski resort {my Dad is a retired golf pro} in the middle of the woods, in another world.  Its so beautiful!


It is also currently for sale, if you are interested~*  They are looking to move closer to us {at present they are about an hour away} & into a more civilized section of the Appalachians.

Mom has the interior decorated for potential buyers-- it looks like it came straight out of a magazine,  just perfect.  She has a tremendous talent for interior design & predicting trends{& the most exemplary taste ever}.  There are tons of little details everywhere, but the overall look is very neutral & clean--

As I previously mentioned, Mom & Dad started collecting silver teapots {which I then blatantly copied} & Mom has quite the collection of miniature ones which she intends to use to decorate their Christmas tree next Christmas}
In addition to my door table, Dad also made a table for Mom, & that little end table pictured above & a bench for the table which wasn't photographed & a fantastic little sofa table that Mom decoupaged with maps which is also not photographed...sigh...& tons of other items

Is there anything better than fresh lemonade, I ask you?

Thing 3 was wielding the camera & fascinated by the little things, so unfortunately we don't have any 'big picture' pictures...but no fear, we are going back up on Thursday for a Pizza-Off between Thing 2 & Poppy, so more pics will follow {I am always inspired by what Ma is currently collecting/painting/designing/creating & no doubt you will be too}

But this is about Father's Day, so without further ado I present the man of the hour, the Pater Familias, the Thing's Poppy & my Dad:


There aren't enough words to describe my Dad.  Nope.  He is beyond description.  The Best?  The Greatest?  The Ultra Awesome-est? Definitely the Pater Familias, & the best Poppy ever.  I mean, seriously, you can tell by the way he displays his Iced Tea Maker that he could clearly get a job as a spokes-model if he were so inclined.  And the bow, he wears it with such grace~*  Obviously he is taciturn & reserved man who would never break into hysterical laughing fits about orange juice.  Sorry, inside joke.
Love you Daddy.
We had a wonderful dinner of BBQ chicken {with a homemade sauce that I will try and get him to do a tutorial for-- just scrumptious} corn-on-the-cob, Mom's famous potato salad {another tutorial?} & fresh watermelon {which we were too busy eating to photograph}. Then Rummikub & conversation & Lemonade Pie {another tutorial?  Whaddya say?}


As an aside, isn't the color of their picnic table to die for???  Mom painted it, its just stellar!  Anyway...
A smashing grand time was had by all-- & Thing 3 took some more of her photos of the garden {as if everything else weren't enough, Mom is a gifted gardener & her yard is wildly gorgeous}




I'll be posting more of her photos on her page once she finishes editing. We did not leave empty handed-- Mom generously gave me some cuttings off her ivy {which are currently on my kitchen ledge in cups of water waiting to grow roots} as well as some Japanese lanterns which I spent the morning replanting in our sad little attempt at a garden.  Cross your fingers!

How did you spend your Father's Day?