Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Blog Party~*




For today's web adventure, I'm linking up to a blogger party called



Technically it started yesterday, but it lasts for the week so better late than never, right?. You can click on the button at the end of this post to go to the host site, then start surfing other blogs.  Its a great way to get around to blogs you may not find otherwise {be sure to share the love by joining via bloglovin' or GFC}. If you are so desirous, you can link your blog up to the party and make this thing super mondo-huge-ah-mongus!  Which is a real word because I said so & I have advanced degrees to back me up.  The instructions are on the host site {eazy peazy lemon squeezy~*}

Part of the requirement to join the party is to answer the posted questions for the week, so here goes nothing.  

1. What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

I'm not too afraid of failing at normal things {not that I think I can't fail, but just that I understand that failure is part of learning, so I don't fear it}


.

You only have one life, no point in being afraid of failure. Zombie squirrels?  Now there is something to fear, but failure, no.
& I don't harbor secret desires to jump off bridges, parachute off Koit Tower or ski down Mount Kilimanjaro or anything like that.  Again, not because of fear of failure so much as not wanting to die a needless death.  Yes I could jump off a sky scraper...but why would I want to?  What would be gained?  I don't get it...
So I shall take this question to the nth degree and say become a super hero.  I grew  up with the Justice League.

image from:  http://whatculture.com/film/5-problems-facing-justice-league-movie.php

I want a costume, a cape, a natty headpiece and the ability to fly {or at minimum an invisible jet} so I could stop injustice.  What could be better than that?

2. If you had only six months left to live, what would you do with that time?

Speaking of a needless death...

Okay.  I'm an adult-- so instantly I think of all the realities.  I could just put down a lot of impossible plans, but the reality is that unless someone decided to bankroll my demise, grant me endless airfare, limitless access to everything, no red tape & no desire too big & whatnot, I couldn't do any of it.  
And if someone were bankrolling etc., then see question & answer #1.
Reality, if I had six months to live, I'd get my things in order, set up albums & mementos to leave my kids, pass on advice for the grandchildren I'd never get to see, spend more time with my family, cry a lot I imagine...really depressing, morose, real life stuff.  
I'm guessing the author of the question meant the answers to be of the "go on safari" & "visit Paris" ilk, but hey, I'm a 42 year old historian.  Reality is reality.  So, in a nutshell, I'd keep doing what I'm doing-- I'd just  do it a little faster, savor it a little more & record every last minute.

3. If a front page news article was written on you, what would the title be?

Wow.  Absolute blank drawn with this one...College Prof Wins Largest Lottery in World History, would be a lovely one...

4. What is your biggest pet peeve?

People who use religion to justify oppressing others.  Where one hangs out on Sundays {or whatever day of the week} doesn't automatically make one morally correct or superior to anyone else-- did you know there were over 6,000 separate denominations of Christianity in America alone?  And that doesn't count world wide-- and they don't all believe the same thing, nor do all Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists etc.  These different religious groups don't agree on what to believe, even within their own sect, so how can one justify passing a law forcing others to behave in a way that satisfies your private religious morality?   Keep your beliefs to yourself, stop bragging about them & definitely stop trying to force others to live your religion.  

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not talking about those who share honest soul searching, spiritual journeys or religious experiences {one of my favorite bloggers, Maggie B, is very upfront about her religion and her desire to live more fully in it-- and there are a lot of bloggers who post about their faith in a wonderfully human way}-- I'm talking about those who boast about their religion,  believing that God, whatever they conceive him/her/it to be, is singling them out for special favors.  Ever stop to think that when someone says God saved their child, parent, spouse or loved one the implication is that someone who lost their loved one has been overlooked/ignored by God?  Can one be more arrogant than that?   It is generally those same folks who believe God is personally seeing to their successes that are also saying that their personal morality should be the law of the land.   Most religions talk a good deal about humility-- but a great many religious adherents are anything but humble.  
The only thing that comes close to annoying me on the same scale are people who twist history to justify their actions...but I'll save that rant for another day lol

5. What is your favorite chick flick movie?

Not a fan of chick flicks, weepies or otherwise "moving" movies & I hate movie romances because they are so juvenile {no offense meant to fans of those films, to each his or her own!}.  I watch a movie to be entertained-- I get enough deep thoughts, profound truths, heartbreaks & crushing disappointments vicariously through the folks I study for a living & I already have my real life fairy tale ending so I don't need to watch someone else's fantasy of one.  So....there you go. 




Now that is my kinda movie...

Now its your turn!  

Click the button & join in the party by surfing the blogs & linking up-- it's Wandering the  Web Wednesday after all!



3 comments:

  1. Fun! Of course I definately have a wish to jump or ski off if just about anything available, but I'm immature like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear I commented on this before. Maybe the characters I chose didn't match up? They are getting harder to decipher. Anyway, you sound braver than me. I am afraid of failure myself. I like your headline and your last-six-months plan! I share your pet peeve too. I do like a good chick flick though! Notting Hill with a bag of chips. All set.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It is most appreciated~*