Monday, December 30, 2013

Kringla: Our Favorite Cookie~*

I've said it before, and I stand by it-- I don't like to cook.  It isn't so much that I can't cook as I don't want to cook.  Thankfully my husband loves cooking, and Bayley does too & between them both we eat rather well.  Kringla, the Norwegian cookie, however, is one of those exceptions that prove the rule.


I don't bake any more than I cook, and for the most part my cookie experience is of the sliced-from-a-tube sort.  I only make one type of cookie from scratch.  And if you are only going to bake one type of cookie, this is the one to bake.  
I actually enjoy making them-- they are easily done by hand and don't make much of a mess.  
They aren't a sweet cookie-- we aren't really a sweeties family.  They are bread-y & soft with just a hint of sweet & touch of tang & they go great with coffee.  


My Mom made them for the first time when I was a preteen & we were doing an international Christmas cookie bake thingy for reasons I've long forgotten.  There are several recipes online-- and apparently several versions of the cookie-- but this is the one we love. 

Preheat oven to 350 & grease your cookie sheets (we use baking mats similar to these)

Lightly beat one egg.  Add 1 1/2 cups of sugar and mix well.


Add 2 1/2 cups of sour cream and mix til smooth.


Add 2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp of salt and 4 cups of flour.  I add the baking soda, salt and half the flour, mix thoroughly, then add the remaining flour.


Flour your cutting board/kitchen counter.


If your kitchen is warm, you may want to stick everything in the fridge for a tick before rolling.  Pinch off bits of dough and roll them to roughly a pencil thickness.


Form it in to a figure eight & pinch the ends together.


When your baking sheet is loaded up, bake them for 12-15 minutes.


While the first batch is baking, I like to roll out all the dough-- it makes the rest of the cooking go very quickly :)


They will become a soft golden color when they are done.  Let them cool for a few minutes-- then enjoy!


The recipe makes roughly 3 dozen cookies.  I say roughly, because generally they get eaten the moment they pop out of the oven-- Thing 2 is a big one for fresh from the oven cookies-- so I don't have an exact count.


That plate is for Bayley.  I actually made a batch two days ago, but they got eaten before she was able to come over.  I got in trouble for that one...


Now I know what you are thinking-- these clearly are not gluten free &  I have a wheat allergy.  But if I am going to go into some sort of anaphylactic tailspin, trust me, these cookies are worth it.  I am very good otherwise, I swear.

Besides, I'm sure you have a food that you really shouldn't have but you do anyway, right?

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It is most appreciated~*