Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday~*


The other day I noticed that my gray hairs were starting to show.  I usually color my hair my natural color sans the gray~*.  But since I'm taking the summer off, I'm gonna just let it grow out for the next few months to see what I've got.  I'm sort of hoping it will be something stunning like this:



Most people, after watching The Graduate, ponder the meaning of life & love & whatnot .  I, on the other hand, saw The Graduate as a teenager on video & all I could think about was how I really, really hoped I would look like Anne Bancroft when I got older... sigh.  I'm still crossing my fingers even though I've past her age in that photo by a few years already...

{If you haven't seen The Graduate, please do so now...seriously.  Stop reading blogs &get watching.  There are some movies you just have to watch to be considered a well-rounded human being & The Graduate is one of 'em}

I never got why so many people have a problem with aging.  People who panic when they turn 30 or 40 or whatever-- why?  It doesn't mean anything!  Age milestones are arbitrary-- we can drive at 16, join the military at 18 or drink at 21 not because at those ages something magically happens to prepare us for those things, but because society decided there had to have some sort of age restriction.  That is all.
Turning 30 doesn't mean something suddenly happens to you.  You wake up 30 feeling the same as you did when you woke up 25...it is all sort of silly really.  And I don't get it.  Sincerely, I promise you, getting older is awesome.
The older I get, the less people can tell me what to do.  The older I get, the less I care what people think.  The older I get, the more possibilities I see.  The older I get, the more beautiful the world becomes.  It is wonderfully freeing.  As Anne Bancroft said "I am what I am because of what I am, and if you like me I'm grateful, and if you don't, what am I supposed to do about it?"

You know when you were a kid and you couldn't wait to grow up because then you'd be able to do whatever you wanted?  Now any 20 or 30-something will tell you that is just an illusion of childhood.   At those ages you have a gazillion times the responsibility-- people depending on you, societal pressures to get married or get the right job, needs of your spouse, expectation of your family, stress, stress, stress.
Guess what-- as you get older, adulthood starts to turn in to what you had imagined it to be way back when you were a kid.  It is wonderful. It is stunning.  I adore it.

So to inspire you young'uns who are sweating the small stuff, I've cooked up these thoughts.  Enjoy~*






1 comment:

  1. Nice post! It's easy to get caught up with age, but you outline the positives of getting older beautifully! Of course it helps that you still look like a college kid :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It is most appreciated~*