Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Holiday Door Bells: How To

Here's a quick craft project for door bells!  Very simple, very suitable for kids or brain dead college professors & very, very merry~*


I had a pack of templates for paper garlands lying around the craft room for a few years now.  When I was cleaning out the chest that holds all my its & bits, I rediscovered it-- and the pattern for a lantern garland reminded me of an upside-down Xmas tree, which gave me ideas.  
You'll need:
  • scrapbook paper
  • jingle bells
  • yarn and/or ribbon
  • scissors
  • glue (I used hot glue, but glue stick or even tape would work fine)
  • a pen or pencil
  • ruler
  • hole punch
  • lantern pattern



The company that made the garland template pack I mentioned is now defunct, so I've re-worked their pattern for you below-- you can print it out or trace it on standard 8.5 x 11 paper.  You are going to fold the paper along the solid lines, and glue along the dotted lines.  Easy Peasy!


Trace the pattern to the back of your scrapbook paper.  Cut out the pattern, then copy the lines using the pen and ruler.  If you press hard with the pen, it will make folding the paper much easier.




Punch a hole into the center of the bottom square of your "tree." Feed a piece of yarn through the hole, and out the top of the "tree."  You may need to cut the point of the "tree" to make the yarn come through easier.  Glue along the flaps (the dotted lines on the pattern)-- be careful not to glue the yarn!





Tie a jingle bell to the yarn coming out the bottom of the "tree," and pull the yarn until the bell is flush against the bottom.




Now make as many "trees" as you like!  I made five: two large and 3 small.  I decided to add a second bell to the top of the "trees," and finished the whole thing off with some green ribbon, then hung them on the inside of our kitchen door.








Last year I changed our message to Merry Christmas, but this year I decided to leave it at Our Nest is Best.  Because it is~*

More crafts to come-- so stay tuned!!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! It is most appreciated~*